You made the decision to buy a popcorn machine to get that great tasting and smelling theater popcorn that you love. You need a popcorn machine buying guide and tips to make your purchase – now is not the time to get careless. Do some research on popcorn machines; you will find that there are a huge quantity of them available, including many that would not make you happy to own.
And now is also not the time to simply try and save a few bucks on the purchase. Your popcorn machine is going to be used very frequently, and a better quality machine is going to last longer, and give you better quality popcorn. When you buy your popcorn machine, you will find that you can get a lot of important additional benefits without spending that much more money. Here is a popcorn machine buying guide and tips for purchasing your popcorn machine.
Popcorn Machine Buying Guide Tip
Consider buying a popcorn machine that is a bigger than you need. For instance, buy a 6 ounce kettle when you only need a 4 ounce, or even buy an 8 ounce – and you really don’t want a 2 ounce kettle. You can always make less popcorn than the capacity, and you will get multiple benefits from the bigger machine:
(1) the bigger kettle will help keep unpopped kernels from jumping out
(2) the bigger machines will likely have more wattage, which will make the popcorn faster
(3) the bigger machines will give you more room to put in the ingredients
(4) the bigger popcorn machines will give you more room to get inside for cleaning
(5) And the bigger machine will be easier for scooping out that great tasting popcorn
More Popcorn Machine Buying Guide Tips
Buy a popcorn machine with a heating deck or warming tray that uses a heating element instead of a lamp. This will do a much better job keeping the popcorn warm and fresh until it is eaten.
Keeping the kettle clean is probably the most important thing for having appealing looking and great tasting popcorn – if it isn’t easy to clean, then you might be lax in doing so. Look for a kettle that rotates down to give easy access.
You will need to add the popcorn and oil to the kettle after it is preheated. Look for a popcorn machine that gives you plenty of room to get into the kettle. Get a machine that has a magnet that the lid will stick to, or one where there is a latch that will keep the lid open.
Your popcorn machine has controls for multiple functions – the heating element for the kettle, the kettle stirrer, and the warming light or element. Look to buy a popcorn machine that has a separate control for each of these. Besides having less wear on the individual components, there is no reason to listen to all the noise of the stirrer when the kettle is only preheating.
Popcorn machines have walls that are made of tempered glass or plexiglas. If you will get a machine that has tempered glass walls, you will find that they are easier to keep clean, and you also won’t have to be concerned with scratching them.
Look for a popcorn machine that has rubber casters, or go to the hardware store and purchase them yourself. The machine is going to move some during operation, and these will both keep it from sliding, and possibly scratching the surface you have put it on.
What is the warranty period on your popcorn machine? I have seen machines with warranties from 1-5 years. I would get a popcorn machine that had a 3 year warranty instead of 5, but not one with a 1 year warranty only.
Buying A Popcorn Machine
I hope that this popcorn machine buying guide and tips will be helpful to you in making your purchase decision. Here are a couple of very good popcorn machines for you to look at. They are both high quality 8 ounce antique style popcorn machines made by Great Northern Popcorn – we like the Roosevelt very much.
Roosevelt Eight Ounce Antique Popcorn Machine
- Deluxe model with 3 position control switch instead of the 2 position; 860 watts instead of 640
- Switches include: spot light warmer, stirrer and pot heater; Heated Warming Deck
- Built-in warmer light; Popcorn scoop is included; Reject kernel tray Kernel and oil scoop included
- Heavy-duty powder coated steel and stainless steel construction; Cleans up with water
Pasadena Eight Ounce Antique Popcorn Machine
- Deluxe model with 3 position control switch and 860 watts
- Switches include: spot light warmer, stirrer and pot heater
- Warming Deck
- All metal gearbox
- Reject kernel tray